An Update From Katie: newman users' forum
Over the last few months, myself and the two Arts, Humanities, & Social Science College Officers, Emily and Robyn have sat on the Newman Users’ Forum together with staff reps from each school using the Newman Building, and the Building Manager, Elaine. The purpose of this group is to ensure that the voice of those actually using the building gets heard when management are making changes and doing refurbishments to the building.
Together with the members of the forum, some of the things we have ensured are included in the final document containing recommendations are
- an increase in the number of water fountains
- more gender-neutral toilets
- more and working plug sockets
- spaces for student parents
- a quiet space for people with sensory issues or those wishing for a quiet place for prayer or relaxation
- kitchen facilities that are available to students including microwaves!
- social and collaborative seating areas
The document will now be presented to UCD Management and will recommend that they include these measures in plans for the refurbishment of the Newman Building!