

Union Council the Second, 22/10/2018

Name	Constituency	Initials
Barry Murphy	President	BM
Melissia Plunkett	Welfare	MP
Thomas Monaghan	C&C	TM
Stephen Crosby	Education	SC
Niall Torris	Graduate	NT
Niamh Plunkett	3rd and 4th year biomedical and life sciences.	NP
Christine Brown	Residences Co-ordinator	CB
Sadhbh O'Flaherty	Mental Health Coordinator	SOF
Edward Leonard	Law College Officer	EL
Niall Donoghue	Eng and Arch College Officer	ND
Charlie Lyons	Stage one Classic, Art History and Archaeology class rep	CL
Rachel Duffy	Chair of Council	Chair
Molly Gervin	Stage one Medicine	MG
Colm Maher	Economics Stage One class Rep	CM
Aoife Bracken	Politics and International relations stage 2	AB
Alex Bolster	Business College Officer	AB
Jess walsh	Science Stage 4 class rep	JW
Una Carroll	Disabilities Coordinator	UC
Megan Cassidy	English, Film and Drama Stage 2	MC
Treasa Moloney	Irish Officer	TRM

Ailbhe archer	Science Stage one Class rep	AA
Maeve cunningham;	Stage one commerce international	MC
Kate murphy	Stage one radiography	KM
Darragh O'Toole	Stage one Sociology	DOT
Katie O'Dea	Environmental Coordinator	KOD
Robyn O'Keeffe	Stage one social policy and sociology	ROK
Lucy dordan	stage one science	LD
Gary Mahon,	first year science.	GM
Emily Bollard	Science College Officer	EM
Aoibhs Magills	Health Science College Officer	AM
Sophie Sheridan Burnes	Arts and social science College Officer	SSB
Sophie Gibbons	Arts and social science College Officer	SG
Kate maguire	Nursing and midwifery Stage one	KMA
Conor Flannery	Engineering stage 3	CF

Council Begins

Chair:

- Email secretary with apologies not the chair.

Quorum declared

Issues from minutes:

Niamh plunkett is stage 3 and 4 Biomedical health and life sciences class rep as opposed to the stage 3 rep that was mentioned in the minutes.

Minutes approved

Motions on notice:

EL : Placing a time limit on the reading of executive reports at council.

ND: Does that mean that we just vote to approve reports after 3 minutes?

BM: Does that time limit include the time for questions?

EL: No

CL: Is there a timing on answers of questions?

Chair: No I don't believe so.

BM: Can I add that incase we run over three minutes, that our report is always on the screen behind?

NP: Aren't we meant to have read it before?

CB: We should have it read anyway, we are mandated to have read them beforehand.

EL: Well it should just be skimmed through at council anyway

MOTION PASSED

Motions not on notice

None

Questions on Notice

CF:

"Last year SU was mandated to promote child and student leap cards where appropriate what has been done?"

BM: Acknowledged the mandate. He explained the data breach issues the SU had during the summer with Leap Card. As a result they refused to print leap cards all summer under GDPR. They raised it to national authority. They have since began printing leap cards again. However, there have been issues with the machine at the moment in the union corridor. Making a decision whether to continue printing leap cards due to ongoing issues with leap card machine. If that is resolved we will promote child leap card.

CF:

It was decided last year at council that the Sabbats should provide soft copy of the policy booklet, constitution and standing order at first council.

BM: This has not been done. They are currently in the progress of updating policy document.

NT: having trouble accessing minutes from last year to finish that update. You can access current soft copy on the SU website

BM: Joanna will discuss this on Thursday at class rep training

AB: There was a delay in contact about training.

TM: We had agreed training was to be held every Thursday. I hadn't spoken to Joanna so I wasn't 100 percent sure about training on Thursday. I should have found out and gotten back to you sooner. Apologies.

NP: In first email it said there'd be three sessions. It was never clear when that training was. Communication with reps on training has not been clear.

BM: Niamh, I apologise for that. We'll do better next time.

CB: Question on mandates expiring. Can college officers still elect a deputy even if the mandate has ran out?

NT: The policy book gives an option for a deputy co. We could bring a motion on notice to renew it.

NP: Can we be emailed a copy directly?

Item for discussion

MG:

Praises consent initiative at orientation week. It could have been better signposted that this was taking place, as some students may have been caught off guard by a sensitive topic. Should be conscious of the fact that many people coming in to UCD have experienced things that make it difficult to sit through this talk, especially during week one of college which is scary enough. Tea consent video is great. You feel lonely and isolated on your first day, not knowing how to react. Survivors appreciate signposting. This should be approved on in future.

MP: Sorry that was your experience, not our intention. We don't have a say on what appears on timetable. We fought really hard to even speak about the SU or about anything. I would have hoped I signposed any talks I gave as best as possible but appreciate that I may not have done that fully. All I can do is apologise and use this feedback to make things better in future.

CM: I don't know anyone who got this consent talk.

TM: It was during the Deans Welcomes. We tried to get to as many as possible. Some faculties were on tight time constraints. We got around to as many as possible but are aware we didn't get to everyone. We will bear this in mind for next year.

AB: No business student was addressed, this is a problem. It doesn't mean it won't be addressed at some point in the year, every student should hear about consent.

EL: Last year Barry and Eoghan came in during lectures to give the talk.

MP: We offered to go to core lectures. Social science stage one doesn't have a specific deans welcome but we hit core modules.

CM: We did not get one in Social Science.

BM: We will review entire process. Tea video was started by Eoghan (Former Welfare Officer 2017/2018). Not welcomed by the university. University was concerned that the topic was too sensitive for the first day. Next years team will take that feedback and improve.

UC: I was a peer mentor. Could we do a consent training with those who do peer mentoring? To make sure no one is left without knowledge.

JW: We need to be mindful of the subject matter. Its very daunting to hear this in a loud class, less so in small groups. If you have a peer mentor whos properly trained that's great.

MC: its not appropriate role for peer mentor.

TRM: Peer mentor has a lot of boundaries, it's not as personal as that. Peer mentors means everyone won't get the same knowledge.

BM: For consent workshops you won't get people who don't understand consent at optional events, you only get those who already care. We need to catch all students. Agreed peer mentors aren't best medium to deliver the consent talk. It's always those who need to hear about consent the most who aren't going.

ABr: agreed that a big lecture theatre isn't the right place, and wrong role for peer mentor.

AA: I couldn't make it to peer mentoring and would have felt at a loss.

MG: timing is perfect at the start of the university. Then survivors feel safe here and perpetrators know this behaviour is not tolerated. You just don't want to feel alone.

Items for noting or approval

None

Sabbatical Reports

Barry (President) report:

BM:

Had some days of sick leave. Highlighted concerns about common room club at GA. Seat on capital projects committee. Bonding trip. Working on engineering shop refurbishment. Met Maria Bailey, housing working group - rights in digs, better reporting structures for substandard accommodation. There should be a mechanism by Christmas. Constitutional review meeting. ESHT. Evaluated bonding trip. Students' activities committee. Meeting Deeks thursday. New receptionist.

Barry's report is approved.

Melissa (Welfare) Report:

MP:

Student cases are priority. Involved in 'It stops now' video. Organised sexual assault disclosure training. Been talking with counselling service and health service - silvercloud. Class rep bonding trip, we had a debrief. GA, res review. Wanted condoms on res, is going to do welcome packs in semester 2. NWCI budget meeting. Mini shag. Restart a heart. ESHT. Education hackathon. Self-care events before exams.

MG: (In relation to expenses) Why do you have to get a taxi? Where does that money come from?

BM: Taxis are used for example, when we need to make important meetings on time and we declare it here for council to see.

MG: What sexual assault disclosure training?

MP: I organised it for staff and students.

DOT: What is it stops now?

MP: Don't worry if you don't know what it is, campaign hasn't launched yet. It's to eradicate sexual harassment and violence at third level.

BM: Re the Noise complaints, Can you elaborate please. What are we doing?

MP: It was no compensation. Then Residences compensated a few students at 25% refund. They didn't see how loud noises could disturb students health and wellbeing.

MC: Can you challenge it if you didn't get compensation?

MP: Yes and spread the word.

KM: We were planning to start a petition.

BM: Please do because they were obliging in compensation. Will you just pass on the complaints and explain why the noise is affecting you.

Melissa's report is approved.

Stephen (Education) Report

SC:

Insomnia training sessions went really well. EY CV clinic. Casework, working on a number of different issues highlighted by reps. Teaching and learning awards. CPR/Restart a Heart Training. Education Hackathon. Disappointed by numbers at restart a heart - will do it later in the day next year.

AB: Does erasmus/exchange mean china as well?

SC: Yes

Stephens report was approved.

Thomas (campaigns and communication report):

TM:

Spoke to students about coordinator by-elections. Climate action rally. Restart a heart. Little shag. Class rep training - acknowledges lack of communication on times. PLT. Wristbands. Bonding trip. Bingo Loco has been time consuming. ENTS applications. Assisted final year students with projects. Clubhouse of Horrors. Working to increase SU media. Tried to upload photos from previous events but didn't get time.

KOD: Is there a reason co-ords don't get rep training? What does it consist of?

TM: We changed the whole structure of training cause it was ineffective. I don't think in recent years we've had proper training for Coordinators.

BM: Encourages her to come to the next class rep one.

NP: Any plan to advertise national election and referendum?

NT: I sent a draft on the SU's position to the press offices

CB: Last semester we had an excel spreadsheet of all events that were on. Can we get one this year?

TM: It's in winging it already, as much as possible.

BM: Yeah we can circulate that.

LD: when is rep training?

TM: 6

ROK: Clubhouse of horrors is Thursday, can we go to it afterwards?

SOF: On reports, can we get them in advance in future? Campaign Coordinators did not receive the documentation for this council.

TM: Yes.

KMA: What happens if we don't come training?

TM: It's voluntary.

Tom's report is approved

Niall (Graduate Officer) report

NT:

Mental Health Day. Movie night explained.

Seanad Campaign-

Submitted a proposal. Mc Dowell's beliefs. Action taken with Niall. Filmed first video with Alice Mary Higgins. Thanks to Earl.

Academic Regs- Changes in diff policies.

GA spoke about value of Common Room Club. In line with Article 2. Class Rep Bonding Trip, congrats on training.

Podcast- Thank you to all who took part. Another one coming up. Linking with innovation and impact about including research from diff areas.

Video not up. Recording taking longer.

Smurfit office hours. Issue with taxi. Transport in taxi to Leinster House.

Niall's report is approved.

College Officer reports

EB, Science. Taken as read. Approved.

EL, Law, taken as read. Approved.

AB, Business, taken as read. Issue with apologies. Approved.

AM, apologies, no report.

ND: Engineering & Arch, taken as read. What I wish I knew event acknowledged. Approved.

TRM :Irish officer, taken as read. Approved

SSB, AHHS, taken as read. Approved.

SG, AHHS, taken as read. Issue with it being late, addressed by Niamh Plunkett. Approved.

Items for discussion not on notice

Issue with agenda not being sent out on time.- Niamh Plunkett, 3rd & 4th Biomedical and life sciences. Noted

GM: GDPR Breach?

BM: Addressed this.

SC: Academic Council....sign up. What it is.

TM: , social media accounts belonging to the union. Looking for volunteers for Bingo Loco.

NT: My world two survey. Help. Fill it in.

Council ends