The Great Donate
We want your pots and pans, your cutlery, your crockery, your glasses!
Before you move out of Res, make sure to drop any kitchenware that you're not taking with you and that's in good condition to our manned collection point in Ashfield Social Space! We'll make sure it gets into the hands of a grateful new resident! You can drop your stuff off to our volunteer-led collection points at the times below.
- Saturday 7 December 12-4pm
- Saturday 14th December 12-4pm
- Thursday 19th December 12-4pm
- Friday 20th December 12-4pm
- Saturday 21st December 12-4pm
Please do not donate items outside of the above times 🙏
If you wanna give us a hand collecting, join the FB group here!
Every year when 3,000 students move out of on-campus accommodation, they have to leave their apartments completely clear. Often, students don't have anywhere to put the stuff they've acquired, resulting in perfectly good utensils like pots, pans, cutlery, plates, and mugs being thrown in the skip and going straight to landfill 😌
Last May, we ran the Great Donate, providing a space for students to donate their old stuff to us instead of throwing it out. We collected, we moved, we stored and in September, we gave it back. Now we're doing it again!
What are we collecting?
- Pots and pans
- Crockery - plates, bowls, mugs
- Other cooking utensils - i.e. spatula, cooking spoon
- Toasters, grills
- No clothes or duvets pls 🙏
What else is happening? Well...
UCD Estate Services and UCD Green Campus support Dogs Trust donating almost 4,000 duvets and saving 3,920 of waste from landfill since 2016.
Duvets for Dogs is a UCD Green Campus initiative that takes place when there is a turnover of students in the Residences. Instead of residents disposing of their duvet as they leave campus, Duvets for Dogs allows them the option to donate it to Dogs Trust Ireland.
What does a donation consist of?
- Only clean duvets are accepted.
- No rips or tears in the duvet, no stains of any kind.
- No duvet cover / bed sheets / pillows – Please remove your duvet cover before placing the duvet into the plastic bag. It cannot be accepted with a cover.
- Protect the duvet from getting damp while in storage – roll up the Duvet in a plastic bag
Why does my donation make a difference?
- Your donation creates a circular economy from redirecting something that could be labelled as waste to giving it a second lease of life, in Dogs Trust.
- Dogs love soft beds to have a snooze on, providing them a comfy bed is just one step towards making them happy.
When and where is the donation taking place?
- Bagged duvets are to be placed into shipping containers in Belgrove and Ashfield Car Parks between the hours of 04.00 to 22.00 from 16th of December until the 23rd of December.